Who should NOT use a hormonal IUD?
The hormonal coil may not be the best choice for you if you have certain underlying medical conditions. Of course, it is alwways necessary to weigh up all the factors in specific cases; the availability of another effective form of contraception, the likelihood of getting pregnant, the implications of an eventual pregnancy. Only then can a decision be made about which form of contraception is best.
If one or more of the following factors apply, the hormonal coil might not be suitable:
- Pregnancy or suspected pregnancy
- Anomalies in the shape of the uterus, eg. due to myoma, septum or bicornuate uterus.
- Acute infection in the internal genital tract
- Cervical cell changes
- Malignant diseases of the womb
- Breast cancer
- Acute liver disease
- Hypersensitivity to levonorgestrel or any other component of the product
- Acne or unclear skin
The hormonal coil is also not advised if you suffer from migraines or severe vascular disease.n.